Why Girl Scouts & STEM?
- Girl Scouts’ all-girl, supportive environment encourages girls to take more intellectual risks and try new activities.
- Studies have shown that exposing girls to female STEM role models and participating in hands-on STEM activities increases their interest in STEM fields.
- The foundation for a STEM career is laid early in life. Girl Scouts serves girls in K-12.
- Interest in science among 8th graders is proven to be a better indicator than test scores for predicting future career choices.* Girl Scouts offers the perfect setting for fun STEM activities, increasing girls’ interest in science, technology, engineering and math.
- 80% of future careers will demand knowledge of science and technology. If girls think science and technology is not for them, they will find themselves left out of most careers.*
*Source: Coalition for Science After School’s “Fact Sheet”